1.21.2013


I don't know about you, but this holiday season was ROUGH on me. I usually just stay home for the holidays, surrounded by my Mom's cooking which, bless her heart, isn't generally something we tend to overindulge on. Not to mention that it's a one-day affair for Thanksgiving as well as Christmas, and after that I'm in the clear as far as snacking goes.
Not this year.
This year I went to a cabin in Big Bear for Thanksgiving. It was amazing. We had a group of about 10 people and included some of the best "foodies" I know. We ate, we drank, we slept. Some people went hiking. I, however, did not. Fail. Christmas was in Ohio and I spent over a week having my entire schedule revolve around food... What? Where? When? How much? Just kidding, "how much" was never a question. We just ate. And ate some more. Then we sat inside because it was cold outside. It was not me peaking, nutritionally.
So obviously, I'm feeling a little bit... Well Fed. I don't think it's as bad as all of that, but for someone who can tell when I've gained even as little as two or three pounds, I'm definitely feeling it after the past month or so. So now what?
I'm trying a few things. For one, I've been following a Pescatarian lifestyle for the past week and a half. It's been surprisingly easy, and it makes me happy to know that I'm lowering my fat content by steering clear of heavy meats. HOWEVER, I have to wonder if not eating chicken or turkey is pushing me to eat more grains by way of veggie alternatives. And if so, is that healthier? I've never been a big carb person, so I worry if that's the best approach for me. I think I'll give it a month (total) and see how my body looks and feels.
I have also gotten back into doing yoga (and a little Pilates) at home. The video above is NOT where I'm at with my practice, but it's definitely inspiring. I found this post  on Pinterest, which is also really inspiring me to take healthier steps with my fitness levels and overall outlook:
photo credit: unknown

There are a few good fitness and healthy-eating websites, too, which I've been looking at. Feel free to check them out Here and Here. And if you've got any tips that work for you, PLEASE let me know. Thanks!

No comments: